Sunday, May 2, 2010

In The Domain Of The Southernmost Moose


It seems like yesterday there were a lot of Moose running around Key West. Not the four legged kind but the fraternal type. I never knew much about the Moose, but as fate would have it sometimes I get surprised by what I learn by coincidence.
This brings us to the point with how the Old Chief gets involved. I was sitting in Schooner Wharf, wasting a hot afternoon after a morning of fishing. Michael McCloud was playing his normal set and I held down my portion of the bar in the shade. A group show up and parks next to me, and after introductions and pleasantries, I learn that they are a Moose lodge from Fort Lauderdale. They had ridden a Greyhound bus of all things down to Key West for the afternoon. The only had about thee hours in town and were making the most of it with their drinking. There was a mistake in their order of a seafood sampler, and they were served a snapper plate instead. I told the lady to let the girls at the bar know there was a mistake and that I was sure they would make things right. They instead took HUGE offence at the mistaken order, the girl at the bar was doing an admirable job of trying to right the situation and I intervened to try and help. It is loud in the bar and with a soft spoken voice sampler did sound a lot like snapper. The dispute was finally resolved and the Moose crew from Lauderdale was content. They finished their food and drink and headed off to Sloppy Joes for their next stop.
Next I was joined by a couple who ordered Mint Juleps in honor of the Kentucky Derby. We struck up a very pleasant conversation, He was ex Navy and we shared experiences. I shared the story of the great seafood sampler altercation, and that is were I learned that my new found friend was a Moose Governor from the great state of North Carolina. He apologised for the behavior of the Moose bus riders, and assured me that was not what they were all about. They then asked me where the Moose lodge was here on the island and I told them, and showed them on their map.
The Key West Moose lodge is right across the street from were I live, so I offered to walk them there. They agreed, so we paid our tabs and off we went to see the Moose. I have never been in a Moose lodge in my life, although I am a life member of the VFW, that is about as close to a fraternal order as I get. What I found inside the Southernmost Moose lodge was friendly people of all backgrounds having fun and fellowship. Cold drinks and food were being served, I must admit it was a pleasant place to hang out and watch the Kentucky Derby. After the race I parted ways with my new found friends, they were off to Mallory square for sun set and I was off to Thai Island for dinner, but I do hope to see them again someday. Here's to you Governor, thanks for my introduction to Moose hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment