Sunday, August 4, 2013

How Much OCD Can You Handle?


Have you ever known anyone who had to have their desk in a certain order, before they could sit down and work? Personally I have always taken that as a challenge to re-organize their desk for them. I once worked with a Senior Chief named Larry, who had to arrange his work area and desk drawers every morning before he could begin work. It didn't take long before all the other guys picked up on this fact, and started to take delight at messing up his desk when he wasn't around, causing him to have melt down moments upon his return.

I spent 32 years on active duty in the Navy, as almost everyone knows. There is a lot of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) in the Navy. We were trained that way from day one in boot camp. Every uniform item must be a certain way, your under wear must be folded a certain way, any form of individuality must be stripped away. I have been assured that I may have a touch of OCD, because I do like some things, just so. I do still fold my tee shirts in just the same way as I was taught in boot camp, but other than that. I think, I have bucked the system pretty well. Hey its my story and I'm sticking with it.

I have been re-arranging book shelves, and the young adult males that happen to co-habituate here with me between the swamp and the sea, are starting to accuse me of OCD. OK, so, I have lined books up tallest to shortest, left to right, that is just the way they need to be, no OCD there. Music Cd's are on shelves with titles outboard, in alphabetical order, no OCD there, right?

When it comes to my fishing gear, my knots must be tied correctly, that just ensures that they hold properly, no OCD there. I like my hooks, sinkers, swivels, and other accouterments to be stowed in just the right order. That just makes it easy to find the right size that may be needed, right?

Now the way I see it is this, we are not suppose to be judgemental of our fellow man, and his organizational habits. So my true question is this, is it our own OCD that bothers us or, is it that of others. I think if we are letting others bother us, we need to re-focus our priorities. As my old friend Captain Tony of Key West always said, "Look for the good in people" and let the criticism of others go.

I have to admit though, it is a lot of fun to re-arrange someone desk when they suffer with an extreme case of OCD. So you are forewarned.

Old Captain Sends.

1 comment:

  1. Scott, I just want you to know, I read all your blogs, and have been for a couple of years now, I enjoy each and everyone. Keep them coming. I hope life is treating you well. Hope your sons are doing well. God Bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete