Thursday, April 8, 2010

Spring Break

I have tried to stay away from things for a few days, and take a spring break. I haven't run off to any other exotic location, as I pretty much live in a spring break destination. I'm not playing beer pong or getting burned to a new shade of red trying to impress chicks on the beach. What I have done is stay away from the computer, I have not updated this blog nor played around on facebook. I have not watched the news constantly, although I have still gone into work.



I have found that I can still live pretty well without those things. Heck I lived well over forty years without having a phone in my pocket all the time, I have not always had an Internet.



I have had my family here on the island with me this week for their spring break, and that has made all the difference in the world. We have loved each other and laughed, taken long walks and bike rides. We visited Hemingway's house and have spent time with our great friends here on the island. We have eaten well and even had one teenager turn the color of a cooked lobster after the first day at the beach. I have found myself being thankful for it all.



Yes, the news has kept coming, and the facebook updates have come and gone without my ever vigilant eye and I know soon enough I will return to all these activities, but I am glad for my spring break with my family. I know that is what truly sustains me and not the material things of the world.



I close with a quote from Mark Twain concerning material things. "Any so-called material thing that you want is merely a symbol: you want it not for itself, but because it will content your spirit for the moment".



God Bless,

Old Chief Sends

2 comments:

  1. Wish we were still there with you .... we had a wonderful time and it's absolutely true that you only need each other and not all of the material things around you to have a great time. Counting the days until we see you again. Love, B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And tho I did not make it to Key West, I am looking forward to being with my great FL family in June and really looking forward to it! Love ya all.

    ReplyDelete