Monday, June 14, 2010

Flag Day!


June 14 is Flag Day, but I bet you can't find one in ten U.S. citizens who know that now days. Heck, it does not even show up on my government desk calender. President Woodrow Wilson signed a proclamation that officially established June 14 as Flag Day back in 1917. We federally approved day off, or a three day weekend for Flag Day, maybe that is why it gets so little attention.

A better reason to remember Flag Day is that it is also the birthday of our United States Army. The very people who brought you the right to wave that flag every day. To those of us who wear a uniform I can't even tell you how much that flag means to us, and when I see people not stand at attention and place their hands over their heart when the Star Spangled Banner is played it makes me very angry.

So today please pause and give a thought to what that flag means to you, and also wish our Army a happy 235th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment