Sunday, June 20, 2010

Night One of ASP

Night one of the Appalachia Service Project. We have settled into our quarters at the Lafollette Middle School. We have had introductions all the way around with every one , had a good meal of pasta , and received our work assignments. Our job will be replacing the roof on a house that was built in 1940. We will have to remove the existing shingles and replace them with metal roofing, making structural repairs as needed. J. P. has gone with the staff member to see the job site and to meet the family that we will be working for. Also he will assess where we need to start in the morning.



Today was Father’s Day and I have been blessed to spend it with both of my sons, who are also here as ASP volunteers. I am very proud of them both. I miss my Dad every day and most especially on this day, but I know he would also be very proud of my sons as well.


I had lots of reasons not to come on this trip, having been deployed for the last nine months, but it seems I have been deployed most of my adult life. My wife is at home recovering from knee surgery and I have plenty to do around my own house, but to be here now with these young people it is impossible to imagine not taking the time to be here to work for good. To those who much is given, much will be asked. I look forward to the rest of the week.

Old Chief sends,

No comments:

Post a Comment