Thursday, June 10, 2010

Gene Hill

When I need to be reminded what things are really so important in life, I read Gene Hill. When it turns hot in summertime Florida, and I start dreaming of hunting season, I read Gene Hill. I read Gene Hill when I need a laugh and sometimes end up with a tear.

Gene Hill was for many years a columnist for Sports Afield magazine, a periodical that read while growing up hunting and fishing in the red dirt country. Gene had a peculiar way of seeing things and his stories always ended up being about so much more than just hunting and fishing tails. He loved bird dogs, guns, fly fishing, and good whiskey, what more could a man want for.

Anyway it is the beginning of that hot time of year here in Florida and the depression of the oil slick looms heavily over us now, so I turn to old Gene to lift my spirits and remind me that in a couple of months I'll be back in the blind and waiting on the birds to fly in.

Old Chief Sends,

No comments:

Post a Comment